Thread: TV Guide
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Yes I have researched the difference between 3/4 and 1 ton, DRW versus SRW and gas versus diesel. I am at that stage of trying to put it all together. Both Ford and Dodge have all the information I need on their sites for current vehicles. GM is proving to be a bit more of a challenge but I am getting there. On the way I am learning a lot of factors which I hadn't even thought about such as the ride characteristics of various combinations and the key part rear axle ratios play with respect to torque and efficiency. I even read an interesting discussion on the relative environmental impacts of diesels versus gas engines.

My choice, in the end, will obviously be some sort of compromise but it will be a safe one. The 3585SA has a GVWR of 15,000+ lbs according to the specs on the Keystone site. I never expect to carry 4000 lbs of cargo but I live in a hilly province where the highways are predominately two lane including large sections of the Trans Canada Highway. If you add the GVWR of the trailer to that of many of the possible pick-ups you may exceed the GCWR specified by the manufacturer. The question then becomes do you go with maximums or do you realistically estimate your truck and trailer cargo loads and use that as your critical number.

BTW I asked three dealers to give me their recommendations. The answers ranged from a Chev 2500HD 6.6 TD with a 3.73/1 axle ratio to an overkill Ford F450 with the 6.8 V10. The Dodge guy wanted to sell me a Ram 3500 with the 6.7 TD. He seemed genuinely interested and used the Dodge site to choose the truck.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote