Thread: Air Bag Install
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Air Bag Install

Finished installing air bags on the 2015 Silverado. I bought the Air Lift 5000 series bags, which can be run with no air inside, and the dual control air compressor kit. The prices were considerably cheaper than Firestone, plus both kits had a $50 rebate, so that knocked another $100 off the price. Since I installed Firestone's on the 2006 Silverado, I'm familiar with both products, and the Air Lift is equal in quality to the Firestone product. There are two things I found out to help any one considering doing this project. The first is the air compressor kit comes with two valves hooked together with plastic "Y" fitting. The fitting is brittle and broke on mine. Either replace it with a metal "Y" or buy a splitter valve for a few bucks more. The second thing is buy or borrow the Air Lift tubing cutter. You can get it from Amazon for $15 and it makes cutting the air lines so much easier. Not only does the cutter cut them easy, but more important, it cuts them square to help prevent leaks. On the advice gleaned from another board, I also used silicone grease on the tubes. So far, everything is working as advertised, though I did have leakage problems before acquiring the above mentioned tool. Should anyone decide to do this install, I'll be happy to lend the cutter if they wish.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote