View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Well, as it turns out, the floor in the slide out was 3/4” plywood, not 5/8 or 1/2. I ended up replacing about 16.5 inches on one end of it. Looking up into the wall of the slide out from the bottom, I could see that the inside of the wall has gotten wet. I can’t determine if the water leached up the wall from the floor or if the water came down the inside of the wall to the floor. I’m pretty sure it was from the floor, but I need to open up the interior wall for it to dry out. It appears that the interior wall board is glued to the aluminum studs . I kind of doubt that there’s a way to pull it from the studs without destroying it so I guess I’ll try to cut it between the studs and then somehow patch back in the pieces that I cut out.
Dave, I am fighting a leak issue also. I know first hand that the wall paneling will in fact leach water from the floor. Mine did, probably 11 to 12 inches up the wall. Luckily it was inside the cabinet so not visible. Mine is on an exterior wall so it is foam filled. Removing the paneling is just going to expose a foam block. I just left the cabinet open with a fan blowing on it for a couple of days. Came dry to the touch.
If my problem was on a hollow interior wall I would remove the panel from the floor up to just above the aluminum plate that the studs are welded to. Think that is 1.5" tube. Once open use a fan and force air in for a few days to aide in the drying. Then you could repair the opening with a wider piece of baseboard. I used .75"X4" pvc trim painted a color that closely matched paneling. Easier than trying to patch back the pieces that you cut out. Good luck.