Thread: marathon tires
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:

JandC I consider the Goodyear G614 as a top of the line 16" trailer tire, I do not believe you can say it has a 90% chance of never failing, any tire can fail at any time and it does not have to be a Marathon to fail on a narrow mountain road. Who knows, one of those wonderful LT tires on the TV might have picked up a nail and it happens to go flat in a most inconvenient place, you still have no place to pull over.
I am not saying any tire can not fail at anytime. You can run the most expensive heavy duty tires available and maintain them properly and still have road hazard damage. The point here is we are not running duals on the backs of these heavy Montanas so you had better spend the money and put the correct tire for the load you are hauling, at the speed and conditions you are hauling it at. If you don't, and just try to save a few dollars, then if something happens on that mountain road then it is on you and not on the tire. Bottom line is you can study a bunch of facts and figures sitting in your den, or you can listen to a bunch of folks that have pulled these single wheel heavy fivers down the road for hundreds of thousands of miles and leaned the hard way which tire holds up the best....I am just going over the 10,000 mile marker on G614's on second Montana but I can tell you they have never lost a pound of pressure and never failed in my limited experience, so I guess I can say they have a 100% chance of never failing....so far.