View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Long before we purchased our Cummings Onan P4500i generators (2 of them), I considered if my previous cargo carrier would work. This from my previous travel trailer, a Keystone Outback:

But, I had a couple issues going on with my Montana fifth wheel. First, if I used the cargo carrier, it would block my rear storage compartment. In order to access anything from the storage, the cargo carrier would have to be removed first. Second, was the weight limit. As stated above, the "G" forces would have ripped off the hitch, with nothing even in the carrier.

So, along with the search for the right generator, we debated the built in vs the portable. The portable eventually won, simply because the built in Cummings demand too much propane. So, the problem of weight for the portable ones.

The bottom line was, if I wanted the generator to do a specific job, I just had to accept the weight and figure out a way to deal with it.

We purchased the Cummings Onan P4500i (2 of them for full 50 amp availability).

First, loaded with fuel, they are over 100 pounds. I tried putting one in the front cargo, and I was able to get it in there, but it took all I had to do that. At 66 years old now, I'm just not as strong as I use to be. Only once did I try and never again.

That left the bed of the truck. But even that was daunting to lift over 100 pounds, and I just don't have that type of strength any more.

Problem solved. This works. One on each side of the end of the truck bed.

Yes, with 2 of them they do take up space. You have to make the decision, what is the most important items you travel with. If the generator is most important to you, then you may need to down size that tool box, or leave it behind and strip down the number of tools you carry with you. Or remove the tools and use that space for camping storage.

But this solved my "lifting" problem and I can now comfortably carry both generators with us.

Do you travel with them between the hitch and tailgate and the underside of the fiver. Always have been worried about wind turbulence there.
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote