Thread: Pay it forward
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pay it forward

It really doesn’t have to be as risky and complicated as the movie of the same name, but the concept is something that will make you smile when you are alone, or a very good story to tell you grand- children to just make them better people.
What harm could come from helping someone and requesting no payment, nothing but helping three other persons to repay the gesture.
I am working on a project, installing a new walk in freezer door, new walk in cooler evaporator and condenser, (the inside parts and outside parts) on a space my customer is opening up, he is changing locations with a successful bar and restaurant. I used the restroom in the space under construction, and noticed the urinal was not working, the water was shut off to it. I also knew that a rebuild kit was inexpensive and the time to rebuild the valve was about 5 minutes. A plumber would have to charge parts time to pick up the part, travel time to the location, and a minimum service call. Oh, and the parts charge. So, you would look at a $150.00 repair.
The part cost me $13.00, I fixed it and told the owner to ‘Pay it forward’,
Help three people with something. I know he will do it. He is a good man.
This makes me think of my sweet wife, Sue. She so often does nice thoughtful things she just considers a way of living her life. I grumble about minor irritating things, sometimes I do think I am a grouch. I try not to be, but I’m not perfect. My coffee creamers come in compact little plastic tubs. With my big hands and short fingernails, it is just impossible for me to open one of the little guys. I grab a sharp knife and peel back the tab grumbling all the while. One morning I came out into the kitchen to get coffee and all the little tabs were sticking up so I could grab them. I know some would say that she tired of my grumbling, but I know her, and I know she did it to make my life better, in a small way maybe, but she is that kind of a person.
We noticed a bunch of little furry worms, kind of cute, on our new fence I was building. We had lots of tiny red bugs on the new pickets, I guess the cute little wooly worms were feeding on the unfortunate red bugs. I would see the fuzzy guys and move them so they wouldn’t get squished. When it got cold out, I noticed a little black fur-ball on a clean white rag, inside our unheated hot tub room. Sue had rescued one of them and laid it out on the rag, it will probably thaw this spring and resume consuming little red bugs.
She is a pay-it-forward kind of gal.
Wouldn’t it be a better world if we all were?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote