View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Richard:
I am becoming more educated on this subject of tires in the recent weeks. I am referring to the subject that has recently been discussed concerning "blow out updates" authored by Stiles Watson. When first reading this post, I really wasn't relating it to myself, as I haven't had any trouble to date with my tires. This is of course due to the fact that I have a 2005 3400RL and don't have alot of miles on it yet. Yes, I do have the Tacoma brand tire and before I had bought the Montana, I had never heard of a Tacoma brand tire before. Now at least I know that they are distributed from the Cooper tire co. Up to now, I haven't heard too much about blowouts, but I often wondered about that possibility and what I would do if I had one. I hope I never have one, but the thought of traveling 45 miles an hour on a down grade and having a blow out is quite scary.
Just curious, because I have been asking some questions on the other post, but do you know what your "pin weight and your remaining weight on your trailer is? My 05 3400RL as loaded, has a pin weight of 2320 lbs and a remaining trailer weight of 12,300 lbs. At this weight, I am a little over weight on each tire of aprox. 42 lbs. I'm sure that the tire manufacturer's build a little cushion in their spec's but I would certainly feel more comfortable being in the range advertised by the tire spec's.

How many miles did you have on the Tacomas before the blowout? What conditions were present when the blow out occurred - hot, down hill, etc.? Up to the blow out occurring was there any noticeble tire cracking on the side walls or irregular tire wear?

Hope you have better luck with the new tires made by goodyear. I have always been a Michelin man up to this point, but I don't know if Michelin makes a suitable tire for trailering a 5er.
Thanks for the post and hope you can give me some feed back.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote