Thread: E-Bikes
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #10
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
At your price point you will not find anything with suspension. Front "shocks". maybe. The "Fat tire" bikes with the 4" tires are difficult to pedal without motor power. They also use more power due to the extra width compared to a plus size tire bike.
Try to stay with a gear type hub drive and avoid the motors with the big hubs and no gears. Typically on the front wheel but could also be on the rear. They have magnetic drag when not powered up and helping. They do have the ability to recharge while braking but that is really a non issue. Any bike that can go 30-40 miles on a charge will surely exceed the distance your rear end will endure.
I ride my NCM almost every day. It only has a 500Watt motor which is plenty as I need to put in the effort and not just use the throttle. I was initially going to get the RAD Rover, my friend did order one, his bike is 10 lbs heavier than mine and I feel more difficult to ride than mine. You will notice that there are several sellers of similar looking bikes on line. The frames pretty much come from one mfg in china and the sellers spec different attachments like shifters, brakes, front shocks. Compare NCM Moscow to the Magnum and the specs are identical as well as the frame.
Mid drives are nice but a broken chain means you will be walking all the way back home.

Explore, it took me and my friend three months to research and finally purchase.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote