View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Okie View Post
Lynwood,
You mentioned both Union Pass and Shirley Basin. I looked them both up on Google maps and really liked the looks of the photos posted there of Union Pass, particularly considering the fishing you mentioned. How long do you usually stay there?
Thanks

About a week. Do a Google of both you will find lots of information and pictures. If you go when the going gets steep put your truck in low range 4X4 to keep your transmission cool and you wont have any problem.
If you like fishing Alcova is a great place to stay. It’s a small town with a free camp ground just out of town, less than a half mile. The CG is on the bank of the river. The trout start at 18 inches and you wont be but a hundred feet from your camper. Alcova is about halfway between the Shirley Basin and Dubois and Union Pass.
Don’t plan on Union Pass until about the middle of July. Snow but you will have plenty of ice, and it’s free. You will go in from Dubois the Pinedale side is too rough and steep but there is some great fishing in the Green River on that side just take your truck and not the camper. Get out early and look for moose and elk.
A friend who lived in Dubois and I were walking on a mountain on Union Pass. He had his dog with his so I ask what would happen if his dog found a grisly bear. Dan had been an outfielder all his life. He smiled and said “don’t worry he would bring him right back to us”. I said I’ll walk behind you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote