View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not sure what the R20K hitch mechanism is like but if you can, look behind the TV's pin then see if you can notice if the locking jaws move with the release handle. If the jaws aren't moving then that's the problem and you're gonna have to find a way to get the jaws open. This is a serious problem that needs to get fixed. But it's not as bad than the jaws not closing, then you'll never get the trailer hitched up.

I also found that if you try to unhitch when not lined up this can cause things to snag. Another problem is that the rig can be stressed against the truck's hitch plate. This has happened to me after long trips on rough roads and parking and things kind of get stressed. Making sure the landing legs are down and supporting the rig, you might try backing or moving forward to get the truck's hitch to release the pin. You should NOT have to move it too far. You might try raising the front of the rig even further and see if the truck goes up with it (locked together). Sometimes if you go high enough this will release the pin from the hitch, but be carefull you don't stress the landing gear as it tries to raise the weight of the rear end of the truck, too. This means the trailer's pin was caught in the truck's hitch (jaws). A mallet or hammer (be gentle!) might help coax things to come loose. But if some spring or latch is broken on the hitch I can't help any more than be there to see what is going on and figure it out.

Are you anywhere where you can seek help? Especially someone familiar with fifth wheels?

I had some of these problems early on, but over time everything comes loose quite easily, assuming nothing is wrong.

Good luck with this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote