Thread: California DMV
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Yep I agree CA is always up to something and generally not all that great.
A non Commercial License is one that means you are not hauling for hire. I just downloaded that handbook and it states that a Non Commercial Class A Drivers License is required if you pull a TT with a GVWR of 10000 lbs or more or a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 15000 or more. That is going to cover allot of Montana's.
If I understand the Non Commercial Class A it requires a written and possibly a driving test but I do not believe it requires a medical exam. I know that if the GVWR of the 5er is below 15000 and you have a Class C license then all you need is a Recreational Trailer Endorsement. Here is what DMV says about that
"Recreational Trailer Endorsement
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
* There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
* You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
* You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
* You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
* No other tests are required.

So I suppose we are all going to be studing a bit to get up to speed. Sadly our 5er;s exceed this so i quess we will need Non Commercial Class A licences.

Here is some additional CA DMV information regarding exemptions from a full Commercial Drivers License
"CDL Exceptions
Exceptions to the CDL requirements are:
* Persons exempted under Health and Safety Code §25163.
* Persons operating a vehicle in an emergency situation at the direction of a peace officer.
* Drivers who tow a fifth-wheel travel trailer over 15,000 pounds GVWR or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation. Drivers must have a noncommercial Class A license.
* Drivers of house cars over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.
* Drivers of only fire fighting vehicles or buses used to travel to and from the scene of any emergency situation. Drivers need either a Class A or B license with a fire fighter restriction. A fire fighter may add a “P” endorsement if the bus is owned by a federal or state agency, a city or county fire department, or a volunteer fire department and when the driving is restricted to operating buses as defined in VC §15250.6(g). All fire fighters, whether they have a CDL or a Class A or B fire fighter-restricted driver license, are subject to commercial driver sanctions.
* A fire fighter with a restricted license who transports compressed air tanks for breathing apparatuses that do not exceed 2,500 pounds.
* Noncivilian military personnel operating military vehicles.
* Implement of husbandry operators who are not required to have a driver license.

I am looking for exactly what the requirements to obtain a Non Commerical CA Drivers License are.
Here is what a Non Commercial Class A license permits you to drive
With a Noncommercial Class A License:
Any vehicles under Class C.
* travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
* 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs., not used for hire.
*With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person's farm.

Hope this helps when I find out what you have to do to get it I will post that information.
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote