Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

DL N K,

Just for comparison the numbers for my F350 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed are:

LT275/65R18 Tires, Max inflation 85psi, Tire load rating "E" with Max Load 3415lbs per tire.
On the door post it lists the GVWR - 11,200, Front Axle - 4850, Rear Axle - 6830 and Tire inflation as 65psi front, 80psi rear.

Comparing my numbers to your F-250 CC, SB 4X4 there is not as much difference as I would expect. If, as Phil said, the extra leaf spring in his 250 increased the Rear Axle load by 1,000lbs, this makes the numbers even closer. So the question comes down to, if buying a new TV do you get the F-250 and beef it up or get the F-350? But if a person already has the F-250 it seems they can set it up to handle their needs.
Also, as Phil stated, the extra spring does not increase his GVWR, so in actuality, it makes the driver feel a bit better about being over loaded.

Normally you will not see any visible damage from towing over weight, it would have to be a catastrophic failure for us to actually 'see' it. What you will have is increased wear and tear and parts prematurely wearing out.

As I have said on this forum before, our diesels will pull anything. However, tire size, tire ratings and pressures, 4 x 4, 4 x 2, axle ratings, booster springs, air bags, GVWR, etc., all pale in comparison to the bottom line for 5th wheel work which is cargo capacity.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote