View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Thank you.

Question, my research has me believing that the new rigs inverter / charger has boost at 14.4, but will drop back to 13.6 once the state of charge meets 13.8. If this is correct, that gives 90+ % charge state of the lithium batteries. I believe this is correct?

I realize not ideal, and why I posted this information, which may be old information ( mentioned by Carl) on PD's own webpage for Q&A. I do know PD a month ago spilled the beans they have a new design forthcoming, I will wait to get my Montana and try the factory inverter part of the converter ( powered by my generator) and upgrade if by then there is a new charger available, or just add another charger to the system bypassing the PD from Montana.

I am curious, you mention you can charge in 4 hours, a less time to recharge if the sun is out. My problem is, when I camp in the shade I have read I will likely get zero charge out of my 300w cell. Am I missing something ? And I noted I will use the converter system when I recharge with my generator, but I do understand the factory-supplied 75a is not much for recharging say 300Ah's of battleborn batteries, and I could use 150A of charge while running the generator without damaging the batteries. I am not sure if the generator can support the 150A charger, but it would be great to recharge at the maximum rate suggested.

As an option if I need more recharging capability I can get a suitcase 200w solar panel to max my Jaboni 30a mppt charger that I could place in the sun and chase it, but prefer to not do that while vacationing.

Thank you

Allen
If you get a 150A charger the generator will have no trouble powering it, it's only 150x12 or 1,800 watts. With a 30A MPPT and 300AH of BB's it would take more than 2 days to go from 10% to full. You need a lot more solar. Minimum size RV panels (2'x5') are about 180-200 watts at the moment. 4 of them will give you close to 60A when the sun is brightest (4 - 6 hrs depending on time of year and latitude)
I removed my converter, too small, not programmable, simply low quality. It's like a Yugo compared to a Lexus or Mercedes. There is no magic, just do the math for charger, solar, usage etc. Portable panels tend to be very overpriced and underpowered, a lose lose purchase. Yes you can charge at 150, but that will shorten the life of the batteries. 75 is a better match for only 300AH. 150 is good for 600AH.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote