View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As noted, the 6500 lb axles meet the ratings of the rig since your pinweight gets the rest of the weight.

However, we also had problems with tire wear, similar to what you are seeing. We went to the Dexter 7000 lb axles. Our originals were 6,000 lb each.

We had the option of changing just the axle and reusing the 6,000 lb springs and/or the axle tube (the outer tube). We chose to go whole hog. Why increase axle capacity and have the suspension be a weak point? I'm not sure how that would affect the tires.

We went with the 7k axles, the heavy tubes (had a choice of light or heavy tubes) and the 7k springs. We also at the same time had them install the Dexter wet bolt shackles. There was no labor charge for that since the shackles had to be removed to replace the springs, anyhow. To top it off, the new Dexter axle has self adjusting brakes that self adjust both in moving forward and backward. No more manual adjustments! We had ours done by MO Trailers in Goshen, IN. I was very impressed with them and their work. Total cost was $1495.46.

This work was done July 28, 2008. We dropped off the trailer in the morning and picked it up right after lunch. Since the install, we have towed the rig from Goshen, IN to NJ, to Boston, eastern NY, back to Kansas City, to San Antonio, back to Kansas City, to Branson, MO, back to KC. And the tires show no abnormal wear at all. I'm very pleased with the difference. It wouldn't take very many tire replacements for the axle switch to pay for itself.

FYI, our Montana's actual CAT scale weight as towed is 14,620. I would think the 7k axles would work for you just fine. But, of course, you can go to the 8k axles if you feel 7k is not enough.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote