View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 03:32 AM   #13
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Just a question - what happens if you skip out in, say, September and don't stay full term? Kind of unethical, but curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Just a question - what happens if you skip out in, say, September and don't stay full term? Kind of unethical, but curious.
Good question.

I have to agree with a lot of the comments here. Being from AZ, BBNP would be similar to here whereas YNP would be much different. I’m sure YNP would be much prettier (to me at least) but obviously WAY more crowded than BBNP — especially BBNP in their hottest months.

I have since had initial phone interviews with both places. I will probably pull my application for volunteering at BBNP. The ranger I interviewed with said that the head honcho there is very conservative and cautious on the COVID thing and is still requiring that all activity at the visitor center I’d be running be conducted outside. They would have a canopy area with tables outside the doors of the visitor center and even outside they would still require masks. She mentioned that I would have a long retractable pointer to use for pointing things out on the map for visitors. She said that it would be hot but they wanted me to try to stay cool so she mentioned staying inside the AC of the visitor center then coming out when visitors came up to the tables. And speaking of the heat, it will likely be triple digits down in Panther Junction where I’d need to park the RV so I should expect it to be warm in the trailer even with the AC. I am not fond of the idea of having the AC run 24/7, working it that hard, and still probably only getting it down to 85 or so in the RV. While I would still enjoy helping at the visitor center there, I don’t think that doing so in the desert heat would be very fun — after all, that why we usually get out of the Phoenix area in the summer if we can. She also mentioned that the usual border crossing area into the Mexican tourist village is closed as is the hot springs area of BBNP — all due to COVID. So the more I think about BBNP, the less enjoyable it sounds at this point. And since volunteering is supposed to be something you enjoy doing, I think I’ll pull the plug on BBNP until conditions improve.

As for YNP, I would still like to go there but I just don’t think I want to be there as late as Oct 31st. I’d prefer to be out of there by the first of September. It might be different if I was staying in a dorm or apartment there since I would not be so worried about driving out with just a regular vehicle but the idea of having to pull my Montana in the kind of weather they could have in Sept/Oct gives me the willies.

Maybe my best option is to decline both places and just go up to Union Pass on my own like Lynwood talked about.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote