View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, even after your decision another vote for air bags. They allow more customization of load adjustments.

Even though, it's been claimed otherwise, I believe most trucks will sag a little even while staying within the weight limits. Physically speaking putting an extra ton or more on the rear of any truck whether a load in the bed or a trailer's tongue will cause sag. I went with airbags to allow more adjustment for maintaining the same aspect of my truck's stance. I measure the distance between the top of the tire to the apex of the wheel well. Then I hitch up. Then I inflate the air bags until it's ALMOST the same (you gotta allow a little sag). Doing this prevents turning your headlights into highbeam caused by any sag of your rear end. I'll usually need anywhere from 45 to 60 lbs per my in cab air bag gauge and depending on how much crap I put in the truck bed. Your numbers will vary since all trucks and/or trailers and their loads are different. I inflate each side 10 lbs difference per side (as recommended by the instructions for my Firestone air bags) until they are both at the same numbers. I deflate the same way too, about 10 lb difference per side.

During long trips I'm always surprised that these values don't change, but I'm guessing that's a good thing. When not towing I keep each side at 7 psi.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote