View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #56
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
Once again you guys are correct BUT the absolutely mind blowing part of this for a rookie like me is that a Chev 2500HD Duramax like mine has a load rating of 2,034 lbs!!!! I’m not sure I can put my grandkids bike in the back and go down the road. A 32 ft Montana has a weight of 11,000 lbs which puts the hitch tongue weight at about 2,200 lbs. With that said I’ve got to think that 90% of people dragging a 5th wheel are doing so over weight. This has blown my mind that it really takes a 1 ton to pull most 5th wheel trailers.
Yep, now you're getting it. EXCEPT...Think of your trailer in terms of loaded weight, not empty weight. Nobody hauls around and camps in an emptry trailer. Use GVWR for calcs. Your Monty likely weighs over 14k lbs loaded. Pin weight of >3000 lbs. plus everything else. That's why most of us here say it takes a 1 ton to haul one of these.

I know it sucks when you've already got a nice truck but now you are aware of what it takes to be safe. The good news is that the truck market is still pretty strong so you could probably do pretty well selling yours and upgrading.

Good luck in the days ahead with your new-found info.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote