View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The following is just from my seat of the pants experience ... others opinions will vary. A fiver pulls infinitely better than a travel trailer ... feels more solid and steady going down the road. A fiver turns more quickly than a travel trailer due to the hitch point farther forward on your truck. You're looking at 10 - 11 MPG. No more messing with an equalizer hitch, just back up to the pin box, let it down, hook up pigtail and safety cable, check hookup overall and go. You will be taller, so you'll have to take clearance issues to heart. It helps if you can still turn your head and upper torso while hooking up as you can see the relation from hitch to pin box way better than relying on your rear view mirror. Unless you get a front living room fiver, you'll enjoy WAY more storage space. You'll enjoy way more headroom and seemingly a much larger living space. You will have an extra set of stairs getting into the bedroom, but no real issue for most. As far as getting into campgrounds, everyone has different skill levels of towing ... I feel you get used to what you are pulling after a short time, but I grew up on a farm with pretty big stuff to start with.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote