View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #52
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Richfaa, on the struts pulling loose from the compartment doors: I posted what I did a while back and it seems to be "the fix" if you want something that looks good and works. What I did was take off the strut plates that are held in place with seven screws after having disconnected the struts. I use 3M5200 applied to the back of the plates about 1/4 inch thick. Then I put it back them back in place using only a couple of the old screws BUT not compressing the plates. This is to allow the 3M5200 to bond the plate to the door and leave a bit of the 3M5200 behind so it can dry in this manner. When dry, I then took out the old screws used to hold the plates in place and put in new screws the next size up...from 8/32 to 10/32 in all 7 holes and tighten. Did this on all three compartment doors on my 3800 and they are still held tight with no movement today. This is the way it should have been done to start with by the factory. John
My repair with nothing more than a dollars worth of screws is still holding strong. Epoxy with original screws failed me in short order. #12 sheet metal screws have held well.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote