View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Trailer Brakes Redux...

Well, some of you might remember my escapades with the magnet wiring when I first purchased my used 3255RL. Anyway, we have just completed a new "discovery" repair...the story.
On return trip from fun time at Pocono NASCAR race my Prodogy started intermittently flashing SH which is a Short in brake circuit!? Lucky me I was off Highway and 10 miles to house so we just relied on my truck to do the stopping.
So...debug using my shore brake test jig (old Sentinel Controller), I plugged it in and the green light immediately started blinking (error for short circuit). My search began, brakes appear to work just very weak which I've always had concern that I can't get good drag off this trailer. I found if I reversed the connection at the front junction box (Make the white lead +DC and black lead DC ground) short was not present.
Found it!!! I've now installed new right side, through axle wire pairs as the rear axle one conductor had scuffed through. I don't understand how this would happen as they should be protected inside the axle tube...very strange.
Just need to test drive it and see if I now need to back way off on the prodogy gain.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote