Thread: Solar needs
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Jersquared
Established Member

M.O.C. #22311
Solar needs

I'm curious as to how much solar do you all run.. I don't boondock nor do I have a need for an inverter.. I purchased a 2021 3120rl in July of 2020 and I'm just now getting around to installing some solar to maintain batteries.
So far I have not camped anywhere without full hookups, come June we will be taking the 5th wheel over the mountain for 5 days dry camping... In the past I had a smaller TT we would only go for about 3 days but by the Sunday my batteries (2 deep cycle 12v about 150ah total) were pretty low. It gets down into the 30s at night, as you can imagine the majority of our consumption was the heater ( I refuse to not be comfortable in my bed lol)
With the 3120rl I purchased, I went with 4 Trojan 6volt batteries about 480ah total. I have my eye on a flexible 175w panel and a 40a mppt controler incase I want to down the road add another panel. With this setup I think I should reasonably be able to put depending on the day, shading etc 50 - 70a back to the bank. I'm really curious as to how much solar some of you all and what your experience has been with it.

Thanks
Jer
Jersquared is offline   Reply With Quote