Thread: 8 months now
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
That is a question I have. How do the MOC gatherings work? Are they in a commercial park?

DQDick
As far as workamping, we have our resume on line with worrkampers and hope to find something next winter. We are also on the volunteer list for Colorado state parks.

tobymaxx

New Mexico State Parks rules state: Campers may reside in a park for a maximum of 14 calendar days during any 20-calendar day period unless the director otherwise decreases or waives this limit. Campers shall completely remove camping equipment and gear from the park for six calendar days during the 20-calendar day period. Campers can go to another park for six days, then return.

The VFW has the fewest camp sites--about 90 nationwide. The Moose and Eagles both have over 200 nationwide. Most are donation. We always eat a meal and have a beer or two. Great bunch of people. I do not mind paying $5 a night for water and electric. Some have set rates, but all are reasonable. The most I have ever paid was $20 a night for full hookups in Fresno CA at a VFW. If there are no services, they do not expect pay.

As I said, the first part of my post was from 2 months ago. We did stay at a Walmart twice when we were making our mad dash to Illinois from California. We had no time to plan the trip and just drove till I felt unsafe, then would stop and sleep.

Part of the trick is to avoid really high priced touristy things or try to get a discounted rate by buying a single ticket to see more than one attraction. Many cities have this type of "multi-pass." I did have a problem getting out of the "vacation" mode and into the "retirement" mode. I do not have to go like a bat out of h--- and try to do everything as quickly as possible. I can just sit and be retired. We have been in my sister's yard in Las Cruces NM since the 21st of December. They are both older, so I have taken over the honey do list to pay my way. We had a great Christmas and New Year celebration together for the first time in 20 years.I have got to see old friends that I hadn't seen since high school.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote