Thread: Another Blowout
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #28
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I got 15k miles out of the Marathons before I started having problems with them, 2k miles from home of course. I replaced all 4 with anther Chinese tire. Not what I wanted to do but I did not have 3 days to wait for G614 while on the road. I got 18k miles out of them. Luck I was only about 200 miles from home when they started giving me problems. I now have G614 all the way around, including the spare. I also bought a 2nd spare, also a G614 since my tire problems always seem to come in pairs. I have also been lucky that the TPMS has detected a problem before the tires gave way and have caused any damage to the trailer. I only have about 1k miles on the G614. We do have our first trip of the season next month. 3k miles round trip.

I do feel the biggest problem is the fact that a "E" rated tire is not enough for a heavy trailer. The tires are almost always fully loaded to their max load rating. On my previous trailer, which was much lighter, the mfgr also put a cheap tire that was at its load limit on it. After blowing the 2nd tire, I replaced all 4 tires with tires with a much higher load rating. I think they were Chinese but I don't remember. But I never had another tire problem. Everybody I talk to seem to have tire problems regardless of trailer brand if the tires on the trailer are near their max load rating.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote