View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't fulltime and therefore typically keep the tanks closed to assist with dumping, since it could be anytime we vacate a spot anywhere. We've been known to leave early and I like to have some grey to flush any black debris.

But what I have read in many places (forums, articles, etc.) for fulltimers or long timers is that they often leave the lavatory/shower tank open to allow for long showers and running the water at will and not the galley tank for the reasons mentioned that something might collect in the tank. Some comment they leave this one open, too. While all debris should be disposed of in a trash can, sometimes this is difficult, and one should try to minimize the chance for the debris to collect and harden and become a permanent fixture to your tank. In our rig, we wash dishes QUICK before everything hardens especially in pots, pans and bakeware. We also travel with outside kitchen gear and if the need arises I've broken out the basins for tough stains to keep out the debris from the tank. Unfortunately draining the basins becomes a tough problem and if we were fulltimers, this would be plain irritating (covered basins or a tote then might be a solution). What do others do for the "big chunks" from the galley?

In any case if you know your departure date, close the gate valves to collect as much grey for backflushing after the black tank has been drained. While using a black tank tornado helps keep the sewer pipe cleaner than not, everyone feels comfortable that, the kitchen gray helps clean out the drains a little bit as it typically contains dishwashing liquid, then followed by the bathroom gray with its soap debris for more added affect.

I guess the best question now is, which gray tank goes first? I do the kitchen first like I mentioned above, but does it matter? I only do this just in case the drain needs to be cleared of food particulates and don't think the shower/lavatory tank's particulates are as prevalent, but with these gray tanks at opposite ends of the sewer drain it probably doesn't matter much unless I have a way to stop at the main drain to run some water to backfill and flush the main (like with a FlushKing). I do wish I had tornado flushers in my gray and galley tanks, but can do without it at this time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote