View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi again, Carolyn.

I agree with the others that you will do just fine. There's no reason in the world why you can't handle a trailer of any length. At our September rally I saw Sharon (GypsySCM) pull in and park her 3670. Any idea that a woman is less capable than a man at towing and parking these things is pure bunk in my opinion.

As the others said, practice is the key. You should expect that at first you will do terrible. That's normal. And that's how you learn. Just go very very slow when backing and make very small corrections. Move the steering wheel just a little and see how that affects the trailer. You can always add more steering wheel or less if needed.

When I back up I put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Then I just move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go.

When going forward, go farther into the intersection before you start your turn. Etc.

Practice is really the key but understand that even with years of experience you will occasionally screw it up when backing up. At least I do. Then you just pull forward and start over. No big deal. Same when going forward. Sometimes you'll pull the wheels over a curb. Just go very slowly when that is happening and you can't back up and start over. We've all done it and we'll all do it again.

Most of all, relax and have fun. That's what it is all about. And don't hesitate to ask more questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote