View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #29
David Leak
Established Member

M.O.C. #13420
B&W hitch puck bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I have the B&W 25k hitch mounted in the puck system on my 8' long bed Dually Ram truck, and the Morryde pin box, and my SOB travels at 21,000 pounds. I too noticed a lot more clunking this season, so I sent videos and talked on the phone with the B&W engineers, and after assuring them that I had retorqued the pin box bolts and hitch bolts, the only thing they could think of was that I was getting puck noise clunking. So Since I have about 75,000 miles on this hitch and truck, with my Montana, and now my much heavier 5th wheel, they suggested I tighten the puck bolts down after hitching up the 5th wheel and putting all of the pin weight on the hitch. I said forget that, I am not a snake that can slither around in there, so I just had my wife put all of her weight on each one of the pucks as I tightened each one down. This really made a difference. Maybe before my next trip, I will tighten them down after the 5th wheel is connected? Just remember that you should be able to turn the puck handles into place really snug, but not so tight that you have to use a hammer, etc. to get it into place, or you could be stretching the puck bolts out and they could fail.
Do not try to over tighten the nuts that connect the hitch to the pucks or you will more than likely strip the handles or the bolts that rotate the pucks, finger tight is good enough. If the handles or the puck bolts are stripped and you don’t notice it the pucks will not turn to lock in to the puck receivers on your truck. But if you manage to strip one or all of them B&W will replace them no questions asked. I would also say if you can hear the hitch rocking back and forth, you may be driving a little to aggressively to get where you are going.
David Leak is offline   Reply With Quote