Thread: Lost the Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 04:17 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Lost the Thread

A while back there was a thread where one of the members hooked up their 5r from the tow vehicle using larger wire to keep the house batteries charged while traveling with the residential reefer running. I've searched my bookmarks, notes, user cp and on the MOC but seem to be unable to locate that thread. Any help would be appreciated since I've got a couple of question on his install. Like

1) I'll need to run a power wire into the cab to install a switch for the relay since I have no upfitter switches. How much current will the relay pull? What size fuse?

2) What gets done with the original charge wire in the trailer hookup connector? I suspect simply leave it alone.

3) Are the large fuses he purchased used at each end of the heavy positive wire?

4) What type of conduit was used to protect the large pair of wires running between each battery bank?

I'm planning on doing his project this Spring and have begun collecting the hardware. I may want to run the reefer on long trips this next Summer and not arrive with dead house batteries.

And one more general question. How much more amp hours can I get out of a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries that will fit in my existing battery box? There is about 6" of additional space over the top of the existing 12 volt pair of group 27 now.