Thread: The retraction
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Lynwood,
I respectfully disagree with you on this.
In this day of electronic storage and computers with associated CAD programs, there is no reason (to me) not to be able to draw up and maintain drawings for 100s of units. There is an initial outlay of time but this could be done over a period of time by one person. This is not brain surgery, simply a skill set.
Skilled employees can be trained to refer to a computer display for wiring or any other item on the RV if needed. This is not expensive.
Relying on memory to produce your product introduces the danger of losing that knowledge if someone quits, gets fired, gets sick, etc. Additionally, there is less likelihood of producing a consistent quality product.
All this said, I do not mean to diminish good American craftsmanship seen in businesses that produce high quality products without plans, drawings, etc. It's just that it's rare to find these companies in existence still prospering.

Stiles... Yay for you and Keystone!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

In Keystone's defense, it is very expensive it maintain records on every unit they sale. Some people would like to have an electrical digram but in order to do that you haft to draw blue prints then whoever wired the camper would haft to go by them. And all that would accomplish would be to slow down wiring the unit. The worker would haft to get the blue prints out look at them and rout the wires. The process is very expensive and I know I would not wont to pay for that.
In my shop we make 10 or more products with hundreds of parts in them. We do not have a single blue print. You waste too much time fooling with them, getting them out, keeping them updated. Ask the guys we compete against, what happens when you are not productive. Oh you can't they didn't survive. You keep your cost down or you don't survive, just like Keystone is doing.
Lynwood
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote