View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #67
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Ah, the beauty of forums, and not being able to sit down side-by-side and have a conversation.

You're correct, we were talking about two different things. Me, 48" clearance to cab, and you axle position with relation to the back of the cab.

With a short box truck, I agree with you that there is no truck (that I'm aware of) that gives you the 48" minimum clearance, without being behind the axle. A slider is in front of the axle when towing, and behind when turning, in the case of an automatic, and on manuals, provided you make the switch. If I'm getting a slider, I'm only considering autos for the never-have-to-worry-about-it-factor.

The 2020 GM's have the FACTORY centerline 2" BEHIND the axle, and I'm not for sure, but they may have also stretched the distance between the pivot (gooseball) and the cab too. I haven't had any I'll effects that I can tell from that positioning, but I have a 3500 SRW, and so it has the extra springs which may help compensate for that. Never having pulled with a 2020 2500, I can't say for sure.

It is refreshing to have a civil conversation. Thanks!!!

Now we are on the same page

Its a dilemma for sure towing with a short bed ,its the nature of the beast. Thats why there is sliders, or with the Andersen its simple you are towing rear of the axle, which I don't care for, its putting the weight where it shouldn't be.

I have towed that way with the Andersen adapter in the rear position. I get more clearance with the cab ,but I don't like the way it tows , It seems to me I have a little bit more sway . So I chose to have less clearance , and better towing. Its in the same position as said that my Reese slider is in , in the tow position , right on the center of axle ,not rear of it.

IMO the OP will not have a problem if he sets up the same way I do. My neighbor ,and friend has the same truck as the OP ,short bed Ford, runs his Andersen same as I do , pin adapter forward , putting his fifth wheel closer to the cab. He has no issues backing, but no he won't be getting 90 degrees, neither will the OP. They will be further back from the cab then I am with the Ram.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote