View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
What is That Knocking Noise?

We recently spent 4 days at the Silver River Florida State Park. Shortly after daybreak on the 1st morning we were there, I heard a continual knocking or thud that seemed to originate in the vicinity of the hitch. This is on my side of the bed and the noise woke me up. I decided to wait until after I took the dogs for their morning walk before looking for the source of the noise.

When I got back from the walk, got the pooches back into K9 HAUS, and poured my first cup of java, Doris informs me there is something causing an annoying knocking sound up near the front of the 5er. It was with great triumph I told her I knew what was causing the noise.

Our Monty has a mirrored surface on the cap that aids in aligning the TV when hitching-up the trailer. That morning, and every morning thereafter, a bird that must have fallen in lust with its image was flying into the mirror. It would perch on the TV for a second or two and then fly directly into the mirror, bounce off, and start the behavior all over. It took tape and a trash bag to cover the mirror. Wind and moisture would degrade the sticking power of the tape and each morning I had to re-secure the bag.

At our stick home, there is a Cardinal that does the same thing with the outside rearview mirrors on DD’s car. She has to use plastic newspaper bags to cover her mirrors.

Beyond being comical, the birds left a calling card on the cap and hitch of Monty. Likewise on the doors of DD’s car. Know you know how those bird droppings got there.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote