Thread: Legal Weight
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have had this though/question for a while. Does the "posted weights" on the truck = "Legal weights" or Warranty Weights? I met a guy with a Dodge dually pulling a goose neck trailer at 40K. He was hauling furniture. He had his truck commercially registered/licensed for those weight.
Now I guess we get to what I would call the Legal weight is what the truck is registered to pull. In the commercial world that is documented. In the RV world it is open for interpretation. Even the weights on the trailer are really Warranty weights because there is no licensing associated with the weights.
Like others I am curious the law associated with the "penalty".
If I was weighed in Maryland the only think I know they could get me for would be the wrong license if I was over the 26000 weight for both units. It is an hidden law that any vehicle over 26000 lbs requires a class A or B (non-commercial) license. Imagine all those Diesel pushers driven by RVers with just a regular MD license.
Now in Florida I know any truck of 8K pounds requires a class "D" license. I was lucky to get one when I transfered last May. Again I hear this is a non enforced law.
Like most of them they are there if the law enforcement wants to use them.
Good luck and safe towing.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote