View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

jhudson, we too own a 3725. Love the rig. However, upon putting it on the scales, I was shocked at how much more pin weight it has over our previous 3400, about 1000 pounds more, before we put anything inside. On our GMC 3500 SRW, we are pretty much maxed out on the TV rear axle. I am interested to see how much the manufacturers have changed the ratings, without really changing the parts. Our 2008 is rated at 6400 on the rear axle, we're now running about 6600 on it. And yet, the new rigs with same equipment are rated at 7000 or so. I've talked to the mechanics, and they say it's not an issue, as the specs are conservative to some degree (but don't go overboard). Truck rides fine, it sits level, still has "spring" left in it, just is heavier than before. I questioned the tire manufacturer on the load on the tires, and he said that the 3200 pound each rating (6400 total) is based on the speed rating, which is 95 MPH. At 60 MPH, which is what I drive at, he said it will be no problem with the tires "slightly" over their posted rating. Again, don't go overboard. I have checked the tires at stops for excessive heating, and there has been none. Oddly enough, the 3725 has about 500 pounds LESS weight on the axles/tires than the old 3400 did.
I would seriously question your tire guy. That advice does not sound right. If my rear tires were rated for 6400 pounds, that means that if it were my rig I would be overloading the tires by almost 600 pounds. I would not feel comfortable towing even at 60 mph. 60 is my speed towing too, but my tires are not overloaded. You can purchase tires that would be on like the new trucks of 3525#/ tire. The size on my truck is LT 265/70R18 load range E 3525#. The axle and spring pack on the 3500 SRW is the same as the DRW.

I agree that the weight of the pin is heavy on the 3725. As you pointed out that means less weight on the trailer axles which in turn means less weight on the trailer tires. I have the Goodyear Marathons on mine and currently less is better because I would like to get 1more year out of them before I go to G rated ones. Another advantage of the heavy pin is as said in the previous post is my ride is better too.

jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote