Thread: slideout motor
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
rickety,

The motor that drives the pump is rated at a max amperage draw of 100 amps. If you were to have an amperage draw test done while that motor is turning the pump and moving the rooms, don't be surprised to find out that it is drawing between 50 and 70 amps.

Therefore, you would need two auto reset circuit breakers, a 50 and a 20 amp wired in parallel to keep the motor from tripping the breakers when they get over heated. A 12 v 50 amp auto reset breaker is the largest made. That is why a 20 or 30 or 40 can be wired in parellel. Some have just gone ahead and wired two 50's together. Personally, I don't like to do that because you are getting too close to the max rating of the motor and it would be my luck the motor would over-heat and burn down my coach!

It sounds to me the breakers you have there now are too weak. A 30 amp is not going to do the job! Each time one of those pop, they get weaker. And you may have made the same mistake so many others make. That is, you have then in series. If not they are bad. The other choice is to simply go down to your favorite car parts store and buy 1 12v 70 or 80 amp manual reset breaker. That way if you are operating the slides and an 80 amp manual breaker pops open you will have to physically go down to the pump and reset it by pushing the lever or button back in. And you will more inclined to investigate why it popped in the first place.

Come spring when I open the Challenger for the summer, the first thing that is going to happen is, a new 70 amp manual reset breaker is going in. That is mainly because I have a bigger pump due to the hydraulic landing gear that was installed back the first part of November. But, that is in another thread.

If you need more help, Charlie has given the correct numbers to get in touch with me. Don't hesitate to use them.

Merry Christmas!

Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote