View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:13 AM   #35
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Just a follow up on this post, Scott. We just had teeth break on our main slide and our dealer got us in the next day to a dealer in Albuquerque through the priority network. The outer tube that the inner ram tracks in can become crowned. That is the case on ours, which allowed the gear to skip teeth. Our dealer overnighted the parts and they installed the new gear, retimed, but said we needed a new inner tube with the rack. However, our dealer in Iowa provided a Lippert field repair, which entails putting a half washer between the two plastic wear tabs and the outer tube. The dealer would not do this and I got it back with the slide again going out crooked and trying to skip teeth. After consulting our service manager, I got 5/16” washers, cut a slot to make a horseshoe shape and slid one on each wear tab. Next, with two 9/16” wrenches, I dropped the gear pack (just took front bolt out and let it hang) after using my bottle jack to relieve the preload on the pinion gear. After the gear pack was dropped, we used the hydraulic ram to get the slide room square (timed between the two rack/pinions). I measured from side of camper to front lip of the slide room on each side. Once I had it square, I raised the gear pack into alignment and tightened everything back up. So far it is working good. Hard to believe that the thickness of a 5/16” washer could make that big of difference. Also, that a dealer would not follow a Lippert field service repair. It cost me about $70 dollars for the repair. I bought a small vice to hold the washer while I cut the slot, a Dremel style rotary grinder with cutoff wheel, a washer pack and a set of needle nose pliers at Harbor Freight. This is the procedure if you are jumping teeth.
What keeps that cut washer from falling out?