Thread: Yellowstone NP!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The game is being thinned out by the wolves that were introduced, except for the Buffalo - so far.
Chip I have bad news for you, One pack of wolves are preying on buffalo. I too just returned from a visit to Yellowstone. I talked to 2 park rangers and this is the story both told me.
There are "10,000 elk down from 20,000" elk in the park.
"92 - 97" wolves in "10" packs that ate "292" elk which are "85%" of their diet.
Wolves eat every "2 to 8 days"
So let me see that is 29 elk per pack or one elk every 12 1/2 days. If they eat every 8 days and elk are 85% of their diet what do they eat the other 4 1/2 days? Both told me bears sometimes take their kill away from then. They also said they "only ate the young old and sick". The elk I saw them eating in PBS looked like a mature very healthy bull. Another thing they told me was there are elk watchers who watch their every move. Their are parts of the park that haven't even been explored. New water falls are still being discovered. Do they go there?
I'm not sayings they are mistaken but there are a few more questions I would like to ask. I can say there are a lot less elk than there was the first time a visited the park. I don't think I saw over a dozen elk in the park. If you wont to see elk go to the Rocky Mountain park. We saw them by the dozens.
But hurry there are wolves as far south as I80 or farther. We stayed on a ranch 35 miles west of Laramie. All the ranchers have seen wolves on their ranches.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote