View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #46
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If I understand Section 471 correctly, a pickup truck must meet all three requirements, GVWR less than 11,500 pounds,unladen weight less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed. There is no "or" in the sentence so all three items must be meet.

My truck has a GVWR of 13,000 pounds and unladen weight of 7689 pounds. Do you think my argument would work with the CHP?

471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

Ken, when you take your Non Commercial driving test, be sure to throughly study the pre trip section, more people fail that anything else. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher and 3 emergency triangles in the truck and tell examiner where they are located. Also watch road sign while doing the driving test. Examiner might ask what was on a road sign that you just drove by. The hardest part of the whole process is dealing the good folks at the DMV.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote