View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #19
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
I own a 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 MegaCab with a 6'-4" bed. I use a SlideRite 2315 that is a 2300 that adapts to the Ram factory puck system. Have had several 5th wheels and have had several SlideRite's. Auto slide hitches are pretty convenient and work really well. If you go with either a manual or auto slide hitch. Try it out in a parking lot. It is a good way to confirm you cannot impinge on your cab as you back up. Ideally you should stop at 90 degrees. Don't go any further. It is a good idea to go slowly and have a spotter in case you cannot go the full 90 degrees.
To me, ideally you stop a lot sooner than 90 degrees. Driving forward there is no truck out there than can turn that sharp. And, when reversing, there is tremendous strain on the trailer tires and suspension when turning sharp; in fact anything more than about 45 degrees you are already skidding the tires.

I drove semi for many years including B trains. If you think managing a single 40' trailer is tricky, imagine managing 2 of them connected together behind you. Once, and only once, I got myself down a side road that had a dead end. That was in 1982 before GPS, and ever since I've made sure to be a lot more careful about where I go, and what I do when I get there. I can honestly say I have never been in a situation where I needed 90 degrees when towing a 5th wheel RV, and I will do all I can to make sure I never do in the future.

My advice and experience? Take your time, plan your route and approaches, and avoid the need for sharp turns.
As they say, YMMV

Brad