Thread: 2m/440 antennas
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Thought I'd raise this thread from its slumber. Name is Dave W6DAF and we are a little over two weeks form going full time so now i'm trying to figure out how to enjoy another one of my hobbies. All the base gear has been sold and I'm down to an FT-857 and about 4 other mobiles/HTs. I really did try to pair it down lol.

In my other 5er I used a painters pole on a tripod with a jpole for UHF/VHF but my home base (1/4 - 1/2 of our time will be spent there) seems to frown on obvious antennas so i've been trying to figure out how to mount a uhf/vhf and make it look like a "stock" antenna. Been thinking about a ladder mount for a mobile but not sure if that will offer enough of a ground plane. I could probably run a couple counterpoise and wrap them around the ladder to make that work . The other idea is a cookie sheet and a mag mount but then i'm running up and down the ladder to setup and at some point i'll end up driving off and dragging 25ft of coax and a cookie sheet down the road. On my Lance camper I use a GP3 ground plane on the ladder and that works well but its pretty obvious that its an antenna. I could always use an HT but prefer to monitor 52 and wont have much luck with a little rubber duck.

HF is covered, I'll be using a TransWorld TW2010 that I'll wrap some fake leaves around to make it look like some type of ugly plant. That should fool the park I hope, if not i'll hide it in a bush.

I'm going to wander around the park today and see if I can spot any antennas to get an idea about what can be "missed" by the rule enforcers.

Anyways, hello to all and 73.
dave.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote