View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rickfox, I loved my Corvair (1962 Monza)! Vicki loved hers (1963 Spyder). My brother loved his 1961 Covair, my dad is 1962 and also his Corvan (Greenbrier). That van was a ball. A rear-engined pancake 6 van! It would climb the infamous Top 0' the World hill in our area of the country.

Richfaa, I don't know much about size to weight ratios and what's good and what's bad. But our 3295RK is 36' 4" in length and weighs 14,360 actual. Is that good? Pinweight is 3,300 actual.

As for the axles, it was not long ago we were bashing Keystone for the weak link being the 6,000 lb Alko axles. They've since moved away from Alko to the much better (I think) Dexter axles with an upgraded rating (I didn't realize they are 8,000, I thought 7,000). So they have improved something we felt needing improvement. There may be more things needing improvement but I'm pleased they listened enough to make the axle change. I don't mean others' opinions are not valid. They certainly are. I just wanted to point out that the reason for the bigger, stronger axles has nothing to do with GVWR. It has to do with fixing a weak link. We also have to remember every chain has to have its weakest link.

That said, I'm also curious why the GVWR is not higher.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote