View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If the little bit of water coming out when the cap is removed is blackwater, then you may have the problem that Bowie describes. If it's gray water, then what you have is common to almost all Montanas. A couple of years ago we discussed this same thing until someone finally nailed the cause. The problem is that the long dump pipe from the galley tank has a low spot. A little water does not drain from that pipe. When you motor down the road the water works its way out of there, down to the dump cap. When you remove the cap, that's what you see. This is not something to be overly concerned about. But if it is blackwater, then you may have the problem Bowie described.

One of our members "solved" the problem with the small amount of graywater coming out of the pipe when the cap is removed by replacing the cap with one of those caps with garden hose connector. He said he just left that connector not quite tight and all that water worked its way out on his way home. I tried it and it works. Later I added the additional slide valve that accuprep describes. I did it to be able to have the gray and galley tank share capacity, extending our time between gray water dumps when not connected to sewer. But that same valve stops that galley gray water from escaping when I remove the dump cap, so long as that extra valve is closed at the time.

Hope that helps keep anyone from being overly concerned by a little gray water escaping when the cap is removed. Black water, though, that's a whole different ballgame, as Bowie described.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote