View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #18
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
I have a 2010 Montana Mountaineer with an EDPM roof which also has the black spots. We winter in Texas and I wash it before returning home in April every year. I use a brush with a long handle, a bucket of water with blue dawn. I scrub multi-directional over and over. After rinsing with a hose and finishing the entire roof, I repeat the process with rubber roof cleaner which I get in gallon jugs from the RV Dealer. Won't need more than a gallon. Spray it on with a quart sprayer and scrub it in same as with the blue dawn then rinse. I do all this starting at the front in 6 foof sections. The blue dawn helps, but the rubbber roof cleaner really makes it look good. Doesn't eliminate the spots but sure makes it look clean. Both the dawn and the rubber roof cleaner will streak your sides as it runs down the side. So as you rinse, continually follow it down the sides and rinse them too. You're not supposed to be doing this in the heat of the day. A clowdy day is better.

I wash the sides after done with the roof. I just use automotive wash and wax from Walmart. Pour some in a bucket of water. Wet the side with a hose then dip a long handled brush into the bucket and start at the top scrubbing a 4-6 foot wide section down to the bottom, rinse and continue on. I use a 12 foot telescoping handle on my brush.

Under no circumstances would I be using a power washer on any part of my RV. It is not recommended for the roof and sure does a number on light and vent covers. As-well-as some of those parts are aged and can't take that kind of abuse.

We removed our Montana sign off the front of ours after it pealed badly. I used a hair dryer on high but a heat gun would probably been better. After heating, just pealed it backed with my fingers. Damn sore fingers when I was done. There will be a whiter imprint where the decal was. I buffed my imprint with a liquid sanding grit (lite buff). Then waxed and buffed several times.

My windows have the rubber gasket around them. There are weep holes in the bottom about an eight of an inch square or so to allow water to drain out. Don't caulk these holes or you'll have more problems.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote