View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Originally posted by Grayghost03
Quote:
quote:
Yep, that's why I replaced them before taking delivery. Not talking quality or opinion of quality, it was stated in an earlier post stated "All units with 7000# axles that are using load range "E" tires such as Marathons have the GAWR reduced" All units with "E" rated tire are not reduced such as Power Max. Again we tend to throw a really big loop on this forum and try to encompass an entire "E" rating as requiring to axle derating, many ST tires such as Kenda, Briway, Maxxis, and others would not require a derated axle. As far as the tires I've seen come thru the dealer on the Montana line, only the Marathons require derated axles. Now don't read this as saying I think any of the factory tire are good choices. I can see problems with many of them. But then again I have seen numerous blowout reviews and have seen one personally on the great G614. However the G614 is my personal choice. The best can fail due to manufacture defect, road hazard, etc. But it takes a real special tire to fail more then it succeeds, which appear to be the case with Marathons and Power Max, when used on these heavier trailers.
If you are referring to my post, neither I nor anyone else stated that "all" E rated tires require the axles to be de-rated. It is only in the last year or so that the capacity of Trail King and some of the other Chinese "E" rated tires have had the increased capacity. My comment was to clarify the reason the axles were de-rated. The Marathon and some other ST tires still have a rating of 3420.

The tires now being put on the Montana's may have a 3520 rating but they are still a 10 ply rating and the max capacity is still at 80 psi. The tires have not changed in my opinion, just the rating to satisfy the required axle rating for the RV industry, at a cheap price.

A rating of 3520 puts them a whopping 40# over the axle rating, do you think this is accidental.

You are right about one thing, any tire can fail no matter the cost or manufacturer and the cheap "E" rated Chinese ST tires do seem to fail more than any others.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote