Old 08-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Is it still "Nirvana"?

As a continuation of this post:

I have finally reached Nirvana!

... the answer is "YES!"

It's been 16 days since my wife and I became the August 2022 camp host at Pilot Mountain State Park in North Carolina. My first impressions on this position were unbelievably overwhelming in the most positive of ways. My experience has not changed.

I've survived 2 week ends now. The second week-end, every campsite was reserved. Between Friday and Saturday night, there was about a 95% flip-flop of visitors on those sites. That meant cleaning the fire pits, prepping the tent platforms, and blowing off the drives and road for each one. Needless to say, that second Saturday was the busiest day I've experienced yet.

I was able to clean up about 1/3 of the sites on Sunday when folks left, but finished the remaining ones yesterday (Monday).

We've had rain several days over the last 2 weeks, and the extreme hot weather has moved out. We had crystal clear night skies for the meteor showers and with all non-electric camp sites, there was no light pollution hindering the beautiful night sky, except the trees.

The Park Rangers and the State Park Staff are wonderful people. They truly enjoy their jobs and it seems as though everyone really appreciates being able to do their duties in such a magnificent setting as this.

For 2 weeks now, Monday night through Thursday night, my wife and I have been the only people in the campground. Cleaning out the fire pits and prepping the tent sites is such an enjoyment. One would not think it is very fun doing this kind of work. But, just the opposite is true! It's quiet, peaceful, and solitary! I'm no mountain Jack, but just being in this forest makes me feel more in tune to nature, my surroundings, and even my Creator! It's a spiritual Nirvana experience ever moment.

Nights are so dark now, especially with overcast rainy skies, I can't even see the road. Many times, I've walked off the road and right up one of the campsite drives. I started carrying a red flashlight at night.

The visitors to the park have been really great! Unlike what was happening at so many Indiana State Parks, the fire pits, may occasionally have egg shells left in them. But no cigarette butts, no trash, no plastic, no paper. Only ash remains. I think the people who use these State Parks in these mountains realize how precious and how fortunate they are to experience camping here. So, they all seem to be very, very mindful of leaving trash and how they handle their campfires.

Again, everyone here is on a campsite with no electricity. Flashlights, campfires, and an occasional Coleman gas lantern are the only lights. Of course the bath houses have lights inside, but no outside lights blaring for miles. We keep all our outside lights off at the camper (as we do have full hookup), unless someone knocks on the door and we need light outside. Otherwise, we are as dark as everyone else. I'm not spoiling this atmosphere by turning on my outside lights. This is not Las Vegas, it's the deep mountains and forests of North Carolina!

Another thing, a family of musicians arrived at the campground on Sunday morning. Guitar, violin, dulcimer, (all stringed instruments), and played old-school gospel hymns. They sang and played for a couple hours. Their instruments resonated throughout the entire campground. Their style was traditional Bluegrass Hymns. It also was an awesome experience hearing this style of "mountain music" in the faint distance through out the campground. What a pleasant way to start out a Sunday morning! I went up and talked to them and the "Dad" said they've been coming and playing there every Sunday morning for the last 27 years. When their kids were born, the switched back to gospel hymns.

Our two little doggies absolutely love saying hello to everyone, love the attention they get from the visitors, and absolutely love riding in the Bobcat. They love walking the 1/2 mile loop with us, and all together, we walk the loop, probably 5 or 6 times a days. We also love hiking the nearby trails. My wife and I are walking / hiking 7 miles a day now! I'm loosing more weight!

Nirvana! Oh yes! And the Park Rangers and have slotted me to return as a camp host for August 2023!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote