View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Spring Hanger Bolts

Something else to check periodically to keep these rigs from falling apart on the road. Got to AZ a month ago, & while underneath checking for a brake wiring problem, I discovered I lost a spring hanger wet bolt on the rear axle CS wheel during the trip. Luckily, the spring stayed in the bracket & up against the frame - could have been a disaster! Ordered a new wet bolt kit & bushings from Dexter, & after about 4 hrs. of knuckle busting, 3 of us got the new bolt & nut installed & greased.

Be warned that these bolts are only secured by a flange nut that is torqued against the bolt shoulder by the threads - no lock/star washer as installed from the factory. I had another on the front axle loose on the same side, so I installed jam nuts against the flange nuts w/locktite to boot (after torqueing). Checked a Big Sky owned by another MOC member, & 3 of his shackle wet bolts were loose.

So add the wet bolts to the u-bolts & lug nuts as routine maintenance... Still working on the brake wiring problem..
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote