View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Grant,

You really only have two choices for mobile satellite TV. Dish or Directv. I'm only familiar with DirecTV. We have used DirecTV with our 3400RL for over a year now. We have had Directv at our stick house for years and have upgraded twice from a single LNB to 3 LNB with HDTV and now to 5 LNB dish for HDTV. It is my understanding that the 5 LNB dish is only required to get local channels in HDTV as well as the other HD channels that Directv offers. DirecTV has just added more HD channels and plans to have over 100 by the end of the year.

I don't know what Directv's policy is concerning an original installation of a dish on a tripod. I have heard they won't do it unless it is anchored in cement. But here is how I would recommend getting around the issue. Just by a single or 3LNB dish, very inexpensive now, buy a Wineguard tripod with adjustable legs so you can get the tripod level on uneven ground. The tripod comes with a compass and a bubble level which is all you need. Then buy a Directv receiver for regular TV or a HD20 for HD TV. They are sold individually. Then just call Directv to activate the card that comes with it. The Dish uses a coaxial cable that you can plug right into the TV/Satellite connector in the Convenience center. If your 3500 is like our 3400RL there are three coaxial connectors in the cupboard above the TV. The top one feeds back to the TV in the rear. The middle one is from the convenience center and the bottom one is the return from the rear. There will be a jumper between the top two which will need to be removed. Hook the receiver to the 2nd connector down.

Align the dish per the info provided by the receiver after entering the zip code you are currently at. Tune/adjust dish direction for maximum signal and then you should be off and running.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote