View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
After our second year with our Montana High Country, I realized how many gaps there were between the Chloroplast and the frame, J-panel, and connecting places under the trailer. I realized this when I opened up the front pass through, removed the back wall, and in the dark under there, I could see all the light coming through from outside. I used a combination of Liquid Nails and Foamy "Stuff" and sealed up every inch under the trailer.

Result? first, the furnace doesn't run as much. Second, in the winter we don't have that cold draft blowing across the bottom floor, especially near the steps were the furnace return is located at those grates on the steps. Third, the AC seems to be working much better. After 4 years, I am still finding gaps inside the camper that is exposed to the underbelly. As I find them, I'm sealing them up too. Little by little, the AC seems to be doing better.

Now, about the cool under the floor? A couple weeks ago I realized I had a drip on my grey water (shower) drain pipe plumbing under the trailer. I was able to remove all the foamy Stuff around that pipe where it came out from under the trailer and there was a hole big enough I could stick my hand in and re-putty the pipe (which did seal it, so all is well).

But, I also noticed, as soon as I got that foam removed from the hole, there was a steady breeze of cool air coming through that hole. So, somewhere in the camper, the air is still being pushed from the AC's on the roof, through holes in the floor and under the floor. Maybe it felt cooler under there because the space is smaller, and under the floor in the shade of the trailer where the sun never beats down on.

To answer your question? Well, I really cannot. I've never tried what you are asking about. I do not see any reason why you could not do it. But, I really do not know how much it will help cool the inside of the coach, or how much difference it will make.

On the other hand, I do see how your idea would really affect heating the underbelly in the winter months, since all the pipes and tanks depend upon the air from the furnace blowing under there?

If you are not a cold weather camping person, then your idea is plausible.

if you want to add more insulation, the best way, (in my opinion) would be to remove the underbelly Chloroplast, lay some foam board insulation in there between the frames, and then put the Chloroplast back up. This would help insulate more and would still allow the furnace to blow under there. But, is the time and cost to do so really worth it? it all depends upon how much you use your camper and under what conditions.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote