View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Maybe a little more insight into why the OP didn't like diesel, may help us answer the question better.

I'm a card carrying diesel fanatic, and at one point, every thing that we owned at our house with a engine was diesel powered, except our powerwasher, so take what I have to say knowing that.

The biggest difference between gas and diesel is the way that they make power. Diesels make power almost effortlessly, and the new Ford and Chevy's with the 10 speed, take that to a whole new level. Our 2020 Chevy, towing 15K# never even sounds like it's straining to do any work, even when accelerating. Hook our same 5er onto a gasser, and expect to spend a fair amount of time at 4000 RPM's while accelerating with the motor just wound up to make the necessary power. And be turning a higher RPM's on the highway at cruising speed, which equals more sound.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think it's fair to assume that the new diesels are a lot better about staying in gear when pulling than the gassers, and that's got to do with the insane amount of torque that they make. The Ford diesel is more than 2X the torque of the gasser. Torque is what pulls you up a hill, or helps you stay in a gear. We drop our Chevy in 10th gear, and let the transmission figure out what gear it wants to be in. It very seldom shifts down out of 10th, and when it does, it does it very gradually, which is a benefit of having a 10 speed trans, which the gasser would have as well. But, I would expect the gasser to downshift sooner, and ultimately more often, than a diesel would, hill for hill.

I have not ridden in a new Ford gasser, but I can absolutely guarantee you that it is louder, a LOT louder, when it's making power, and if that truck is equipped with a 4.30 rearend, it's going to be even louder, and be more wound up all the time, even when rolling down the highway at speed.

This may not make a difference to the OP, but prepare for frequent stops at the gas station with a gasser, loaded or unloaded. The new diesels can easily get 15+, and higher if you're easy on them. A gasser will never get that, especially with a low rear end.

At the end of the day, maybe some of the things that you didn't like about your last diesel have been corrected. The new diesels have a lot to offer, IMHO...