Thread: Diesel prices
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My personal opinion is that the car manufactures are in cahoots with the petroleum industry in that they could make a fuel efficient vehicle with all the horse power we presently have, but the petroleum industry begs, kickbacks, or whatever to prevent that from happening so their profit margins can be in the billions. Take the automobile. A 1950's, 1960's 1970's V-8 automobile got between 17 and 20 MPG. My '51 ford stick got 17 around town and 20 on the highway unless I ran Amoco Hi-test (White gas) then it got 26 MPG. The same thing can be said about diesels. Look at what the recent post on the Freightliner and how much per gallon it gets. Duh! F-350, F-450, can't even come close.

In 1974 there was a "gas crunch." Remember the rationing that went on?
The public rebelled and started carpooling, 3, 4, or more to a car. I remember driving every other week as my turn to carpool. Fuel consumption hit bottom low, and the prices when down with it and the rationing stopped. (Never was a fuel shortage to begin with. See my post in another thread)

The problem in today's day and age - no one wants to carpool. Everyone wants lower prices but don't want to give up the luxury of independence by driving their own SUV all the time.

We could go on and on about this subject.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote