Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is something that hasn’t been discussed here. There is no need to buy a expensive custom built rifle and ruin the barrel in a few hundred rounds. Improper cleanings will ruin a barrel in short order. Either from the wrong equipment or not using good equipment right. You need a good one piece rod either a plastic coated or stainless steel one. There has always been a debate which is better. And you need or must have a good bore guide.

The second part is that rod must be used properly. You shove it in nice and straight with the proper size patch. Too small and it won’t clean too large and the rod will rub too much in the bore.

Then you must have the proper bore cleaner. Butche’s bore shine or Montana supreme will work. You must get the copper out of the barrel and you WILL have copper in it. I’ve saw people use and of the Walmart 4 piece things. They stick it in the muzzle without a bore guide and run it up and down dozens of times. They just ruined the barrel. If you clean from the chamber end and don’t use a bore guide, pull and push straight, you rotate your arm that will ruin a barrel. I saw that happen in 500 rounds in a benchrest rifle.

I would very strongly suggest you get Tony Boyers book. Do a Google search you will find it. You will learn more about rifles and how to shoot from this book than you could learn in a lifetime any other way. This book will pay for itself.

A good barrel is $400 and chambering it is another $330. If that isn’t bad enough the top barrels have a year waiting list. Don’t ruin it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote