View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #70
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe?

The first sentence of the last paragraph of post 43 about the studs

"Since I check all the lugs with a torque wrench on all tires prior to each leg of a trip - even short trips - this one baffles me."

This statement means nothing and isn`t going to lead you to any answers. Are you the last one that put this tire on and torqued it? Or someone else? Remember when people check lug nut torque it will click at the desired torque wrench setting and you will stop....right? If the lug nut is torqued far far beyond it`s rating you will never know this as you have stopped checking the torque of the nut.. The only way to tell is if you use your torque wrench to loosen the nut first and only some really expensive torque wrenches are made to do this. A 1/2 inch grade 8 lug nut stud can take up to 400 lbs of torque before it breaks. well with in an air powered impact wrench's power.
I posed this to a engineer type friend of mine and he suspects the stud was over torqued right to the point of failure and stretched the stud, and when put in use it took some time, but failure was caused by bumps, potholes, bridge expansion joints or the like that put the studs over the edge and broke one at a time till the wheel came off. So the guy that put your tires on the first time could have over tightened this wheel and realized it, loosened it back up and then torqued it correctly, but the damage was done studs were stretched and now useless.
Really over thinking this I know LoL, Oh well off to the Hershey Rv show to see if I can talk the wife nto a new camper, we`ll see. Good luck with the answer as people are following this.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote